[Sugar-devel] Several chapters of "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" ready for review, feedback

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:57:17 EST 2010

I've been working on a Floss Manual that should be a beginner's guide
to creating Sugar Activities.  I've got 64 page's worth (in the PDF
version) written and I feel confident that I will finish this book
eventually.  What I have now may be good enough to criticize.  It
contains some pretty good code samples, some reasonable
recommendations, and a fair number of screen shots.  So far it covers
writing a basic Activity in Python, running it with sugar-emulator,
and getting the code in Git.  Future chapters will include doing i18n
with Pootle, distributing the Activity, doing text to speech with and
without highlighting, and collaboration features.  I may stick
something on Activity debugging techniques in somewhere too.

Other stuff that *should* be included, but which I am not currently
qualified to write, would include:

* Developing Activities on a Mac
* Creating an Activity using PyGame instead of PyGTK.
* Creating the new-styled toolbars
* etc., etc.

If you want to check out what I have the URL is:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar/Introduction

Any help anyone can provide on this will be greatly appreciated.  If
you want to register as a writer and contribute stuff of your own or
edit my stuff you have my blessing.

Thanks,

James Simmons