[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Enhanced Gettext

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:23:41 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
>> Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
>>> This feature
>>> would add a sugar.gettext module, which, if used by activities, will
>>> search an alternative path (configurable via GConf) for translations
>>> before looking into the activity directory (where the translations
>>> present in the original release bundle exist.
>>
>> Can't we do this with unmodified gettext by setting the LOCALEDIR envvar?
>
> s/LOCALEDIR/TEXTDOMAINDIR/

Ideally it would, but I don't think all programs/libraries honour
this. IIRC, this works reliably only for bash scripts. It may make
sense though to export the additional directory as $TEXTDOMAINDIR so
that tools which take advantage of it would be able to do so.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta