[Sugar-devel] [POLL] Non Sugar Platform activities in Activity Library

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sat Feb 27 13:01:35 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 04:48:27PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:

>     bundle all dependencies
>     but bundle 50M(if we include ARM support it will be 75M) for every
>     java based activity looks overkill
IMO the only sane way to handle large dependencies, esp. language ones,
is relying on distro packages.

>     using more flexible scheme when we have
>     * Sugar Platform and majority of fully bundled activities (since
>       dependencies were included to SP)
>     * minority which have non-SP dependencies, such dependencies could
> be
>       * bundled, if they are small
>       * installed on demand from native packaging systems
>       * fetched on demand
This looks like the way to go, esp. the "installed on demand from native
packaging systems" part. Rely on distro packages as much as possible,
you'll avoid quite some trouble the distributors have already gone
through for you (e.g. xulrunner paths differ on distros).
Distro packages are also
a) easily and transparently cachable on a local server (apt-cacher,
squid, ...)
b) fetched from the widespread mirror network of distributions rather
than the few ones hosting Sugar stuff (APT can even use bittorrent or
custom P2P software like apt-p2p)
c) usually more trustworthy than random builds from some more or less
anonymous source
d) actively maintained, including security updates (except for Ubuntu
universe/multiverse).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/