[Sugar-devel] [POLL] Non Sugar Platform activities in Activity Library

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Feb 27 12:19:04 EST 2010

Aleksey Lim wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:36:04AM -0500, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
>> Aleksey Lim wrote:
>>> Please suggest your variants and attach your +/-
>> All of the above.  ASLO should warn the user if an activity is
>> arch-dependent, generate a bundle appropriate to the user's settings, and
>> make sure that the generated bundle's name indicates the supported
>> architectures. (e.g WatchMe-2.xo.F13-sparc32+Lenny-IA64)
>
> this is intermediate option which could only increase mess,
> since from once side activities bundle something, from other side
> bundle not all dependencies and use case with "download .xo from one box
> and run it on other" won't work (otherwise we should oblige kids
> understand what IA64 and sparc32 is).

It is impossible to bundle all dependencies.  As we've pointed out many
times, even Fedora 9 IA32 and Fedora 11 IA32 are sufficiently different to
break many binaries (including WatchMe).  Therefore, the .xo will only
support a few platforms.  I don't see how properly labeling the bundle
increases confusion.  Most users will ignore it, but their platform will
be autodetected from the browser UA string, or remembered with a cookie.
The purpose of the name is mostly in troubleshooting, so that when users
inevitably complain that it doesn't work, we can quickly determine why
without requiring them to locate and upload logfiles.

I'd be willing to scale back to "one platform per bundle", though.

--Ben