[Sugar-devel] [POLL] Non Sugar Platform activities in Activity Library

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Feb 27 12:05:58 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:36:04AM -0500, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> Aleksey Lim wrote:
> > Please suggest your variants and attach your +/-
>
> All of the above.  ASLO should warn the user if an activity is
> arch-dependent, generate a bundle appropriate to the user's settings, and
> make sure that the generated bundle's name indicates the supported
> architectures. (e.g WatchMe-2.xo.F13-sparc32+Lenny-IA64)

this is intermediate option which could only increase mess,
since from once side activities bundle something, from other side
bundle not all dependencies and use case with "download .xo from one box
and run it on other" won't work (otherwise we should oblige kids
understand what IA64 and sparc32 is).

> Ultimately, though, I think we need to move 0install into Glucose.  Then
> to share an activity bundle with a friend, all I have to do is transfer
> the package URL.  My friend's Sugar install can then use
> 0share/packagekit/0launch to get whatever components are necessary for her
> system... possibly even from me via 0share, or possibly from ASLO.

and I'm all about this, kid just click on download button on ASLO (or
pass link to friends) and all technical stuff (check for deps, arches etc)
will be done by 0install.

Of course as was already mentioned many times there will be net issue.
But are we trying to solve downstream problems on upstream, I mean if
there is only *one* XO laptop somewhere in sahara nothing would be useful,
but more or less big deployments could have school servers that will provide
all useful for this particular dependent dependencies via local network
(and users themselves could be peers in local file sharing network).

--
Aleksey