[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Turtle Art on Activities.sugarlabs.org

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Feb 27 10:34:25 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 06:50:13PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 19:08, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The other day during an infrastructure meeting, Walter brought up some
> > thought on how to enable kids to exchange Turtle Art projects....
> >
> > Alsroot has been thinking about how to do this through a.sl.o since he
> > became the activities.sugarlabs.org code maintainer.
> >
> > The high level view is that someone can easily upload Turtle Art creations
> > to somewhere and then they, or others, can go to a portal to download other
> > Turtle Art creations.
> >
> > Client side, this would require:
> > 1. Adding a widget to either the journal or the TA activity to upload the TA
> > Bundle.
> > 2. Adding a TA bundle installer to handler TA Bundle downloads.
> >
> > Server side, this would require:
> > 1. A place to accept TA bundle uploads.
> > 2. A search-able place from which to download TA bundles
> >
> > We have some similar systems we can look to as examples.
> > 1. Scratch -- Scratch has an upload button and users can download scratch
> > projects from --  http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/browse/newest
> > 2. ASLO --  Users upload XO bundles via a web interface and download via a
> > web interface.
> >
> > My initial instinct is to see if ASLO can be adopted to fit this need.
> > Primarily because we have it, it works, and it is scalable.  On the other
> > hand, if the only tool in one's toolbox is a hammer, everything looks like a
> > nail. (How is that for over using clichés and buzzword?)
>
> What about Moodle instead?
>
> When this has come in the past, I have recommended starting small and
> growing one step at a time:
>
> 1. set up a webapp that can host user uploads,
>
> 2. change the <input type="file> tag to accept only .xoj bundles, make
> Browse upload the bundle instead of just the file, make the webapp use
> the metadata for displaying the title, comments, preview, etc.,
>
> 3. implement uploading of entries in the Sugar UI, if turns out it's needed.
>
> I think a place for uploading and sharing Journal entries can bring a
> lot of power to the Sugar ecosystem, but all tentatives in the past
> have stalled because they wanted to start too big.

we can move in several directions at the same time,

* web hosting,
  I'm more thinking about Moodle because hacking AMO will increase ASLO
  patch which could be wrong way to go since we don't have PHP coders
  involeved to ASLO coding

* sugar UI,
  we already have FileShare activity
  I'm working on Library-2 activity which should support not only server
  model but also per-to-peer sharing model (activity will have thumb
  view to make object browsing more useful)

--
Aleksey