[Sugar-devel] Font display revisited

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Tue Feb 23 17:10:01 EST 2010

I see things differently.

1) I understand that a UI for users to change "default" (a misnomer here)
font size will not be available until 0.90. Thus until then developers will
be completely responsible for how their displays look. (*Default* to me
implies a size *prior* to any user modification);

2) I believe that a user should expect that the distribution's default font
display looks good (i.e., fits appropriately) on various monitors (my
activities do). I suspact that users will only change (or rather, should
only *need* to change) their "defaults" in special cases - as, for example,
partially-sited individuals who simply require larger fonts than usual. In
such a case, in text-based activities such as mine, this will normally
involve horizontal scrolling. Most individuals will not want to scroll; they
will prefer a standardized display (a default) fit to the screen.

If noone here knows the answer to my question, I'll certainly ask elsewhere.
It continues to puzzle me why the same default font sizes (and same fonts)
cannot reasonably display similarly in different versions of SoaS. Is anyone
else troubled by this?

Art Hunkins