[Sugar-devel] Sugar-0.88 ppa on Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic)

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 23 04:38:58 EST 2010

I've uploaded patched packages(but w/o Xephyr title fix)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 06:01:59AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:22:16PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > It was better to select Sugar from the Education category in the
> > Applications menu.  This launched a window which said it was Xephyr, but
> > that's not what I asked for, so I stopped it and tried again.  It still
> > said it was Xephyr.  I don't think it should, it should say Sugar, but
> > anyway, the on screen result was much better, in that the icons were
> > properly present.
>
> yeah, good catch
> I'll upload version with tweaked Xephyr title
>
> > While I knew that I had to use F1 through to F4 to obtain the other
> > views that Sugar presents, I really doubt anybody would discover this by
> > accident.  There needs to be UI elements that provide redundant access
> > in the absence of hardware with labelled keys.
> >
> > I'm surprised.  I thought Sugar would have been much more accessible
> > when packaged to run within a desktop environment.  As it is, it is no
> > more than is on the OLPC XO builds.
>
> but it's the same sugar, questions you are rising are not trivial
> and should be solved in sugar itself not only in downstream packages

btw what you are running is sugar-emulator thus emulation of sugar e.g.
it's pretty hard to use frame in non-fullscreen mode (but being in
fullscreen mode you can't use non-sugar apps comfortable). The native
mode is to login to sugar session. AFAIK there wasn't attempts to
integrate sugar into regular DEs except switching to metacity (and it is
a question if loosing sugar DE paradigm is worth while).

Aleksey