[Sugar-devel] Sugar-0.88 ppa on Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic)

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Feb 23 01:01:59 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:22:16PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:55:24AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> > >
> > > Those instructions run without flaw, but how do I get to use Sugar?
> >
> > There are no ubuntu specific workflows so I didn't post such intructions.
>
> Ah, neat excuse.
>
> I used the most obvious action, type sugar at a shell prompt and press
> enter.  This is what anybody else might try in the absence of
> documentation.  The result was surprisingly bad; missing icons,
> invisible UI elements, and elements hidden by GNOME components.
>
> It was better to select Sugar from the Education category in the
> Applications menu.  This launched a window which said it was Xephyr, but
> that's not what I asked for, so I stopped it and tried again.  It still
> said it was Xephyr.  I don't think it should, it should say Sugar, but
> anyway, the on screen result was much better, in that the icons were
> properly present.

yeah, good catch
I'll upload version with tweaked Xephyr title

> While I knew that I had to use F1 through to F4 to obtain the other
> views that Sugar presents, I really doubt anybody would discover this by
> accident.  There needs to be UI elements that provide redundant access
> in the absence of hardware with labelled keys.
>
> I'm surprised.  I thought Sugar would have been much more accessible
> when packaged to run within a desktop environment.  As it is, it is no
> more than is on the OLPC XO builds.

but it's the same sugar, questions you are rising are not trivial
and should be solved in sugar itself not only in downstream packages

> Calculator started fine.
>
> Browse did not start.  No UI response after launcher went away.  I was
> hoping for something that would tell me why it failed, but I had to do
> what I do on 0.82 and 0.84, look at the logs ... "import hulahop" failed:
> ImportError: libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

yeah, it is dependency issue, I'll upload new package

> Chat started, but the text entry window was not visible; it was obscured
> by GNOME UI components.

hmm not sure what your mean, chat is starting within Xephyr, so there
are no gnome components. Could you attach screenshot

> Terminal started fine, but was obscured like Chat was.
>
> Turtle Art started fine.
>
> Write started, but the stop button was hidden, like what we found on the
> OLPC XO builds when font sizes were changed unexpectedly.

Write follows (at least should) sugar HIG. I guess issue here is default
Xephyr window size, it could have size to follow HIG.

> But this is good, now I can test 0.88 when I find 0.84 problems.
> Thanks!

thanks as well for getting feedback

--
Aleksey