[Sugar-devel] Sugar-0.88 ppa on Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 23 00:22:16 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:55:24AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:27:32PM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:49:02AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> > > I've created sugar 0.88 based ppa for karmic,
> > > intructions are here
> > > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu#Sugar-0.88_on_Ubuntu_9.10_.28karmic.29
> >
> > Those instructions run without flaw, but how do I get to use Sugar?
>
> There are no ubuntu specific workflows so I didn't post such intructions.

Ah, neat excuse.

I used the most obvious action, type sugar at a shell prompt and press
enter.  This is what anybody else might try in the absence of
documentation.  The result was surprisingly bad; missing icons,
invisible UI elements, and elements hidden by GNOME components.

It was better to select Sugar from the Education category in the
Applications menu.  This launched a window which said it was Xephyr, but
that's not what I asked for, so I stopped it and tried again.  It still
said it was Xephyr.  I don't think it should, it should say Sugar, but
anyway, the on screen result was much better, in that the icons were
properly present.

While I knew that I had to use F1 through to F4 to obtain the other
views that Sugar presents, I really doubt anybody would discover this by
accident.  There needs to be UI elements that provide redundant access
in the absence of hardware with labelled keys.

I'm surprised.  I thought Sugar would have been much more accessible
when packaged to run within a desktop environment.  As it is, it is no
more than is on the OLPC XO builds.

Calculator started fine.

Browse did not start.  No UI response after launcher went away.  I was
hoping for something that would tell me why it failed, but I had to do
what I do on 0.82 and 0.84, look at the logs ... "import hulahop" failed:
ImportError: libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

Chat started, but the text entry window was not visible; it was obscured
by GNOME UI components.

Terminal started fine, but was obscured like Chat was.

Turtle Art started fine.

Write started, but the stop button was hidden, like what we found on the
OLPC XO builds when font sizes were changed unexpectedly.

But this is good, now I can test 0.88 when I find 0.84 problems.
Thanks!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/