[Sugar-devel] [FIELDBACK] 'Start New' vs 'Resume' in Home View

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Feb 22 12:30:23 EST 2010

Hi,

I did a little survey in the Planetarium pilot last week [1]. The
subject was "Start new" vs "Restart" in the home view. Christian did
provide a test protocol [2] and I made a Soas version of Sugar that
let's you change the behavior with a button in the Home View [3].

*** Background:
We use Sugar 0.84 in this pilot. The kids do use Sugar for more than
half a year now. I have repeated a lot of times in class the difference
between 'Start New' vs 'Resume'. I made already another written survey
with the kids about it [4].

*** Observations:
* The ring
All the kids did get well what the ring is for, and what the Journal is
for. We make heavy use of the Journal, in class. The learners do write a
summary after every Sugar session.

* Resume:
The Journal makes sense for the learners when it comes to resuming
previous work. They know as well that they can resume from the Home
View, though I explained this as well to them often. They understand
quite well what the color means in the resume view ("we have worked with
that activity already").

What becomes clear is: The kids do not use the right-click option. When
describing 'how to start a new activity' they make phrases like: I wait
for the option to appear. Note: I explained them several times that the
right-click option exists, and they will say: "oh yeah, right with right
click it does go quicker", but they will not use it :) These are results
from observation and the survey. Right-click does seem to me like a
poweruser tool.

* New
I think this option is quite well hidden. For a kid to start a new
instance it takes quite some steps (including waiting for the palette to
appear).

I am curious to what Gerald has to report from his survey. As his kids
will have another background. I think, I would go back to start new as
the default option.

Thanks,
      Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployments/Planetarium