[Sugar-devel] SoaS with Sugar 0.87.2 coming to a system near you / An alternate install method using liveusb-creator from a 4GB Bluebery USB

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sat Feb 6 13:05:36 EST 2010

As zyx-liveinstaller and livinst both crash on startup of the snapshot
soas-3-20091228.iso ,

I have devised a workaround to install it on a LiveUSB.
This as, a byproduct, provides a method to Create a Installer USB
containing liveusb-creator which will install different .iso files from
a CD.

This raises the possibility of including liveusb-creator on the next
snapshot as an install method as it only sees USB Drives.
I tested the download button on the right side of the graphical window.
It took a 8GB SD to complete a download of the strawberry.iso to the
journal (4GB stopped at 42%). However there was no way to see it in
liveusb-creator. Thus the CD with the .iso file. That is seen fine in
the select file button. This works....

Tom Gilliard
satellit

Another Method to Make Multiple Live USB's
===========Make Installer USB========================
1_)use soas-2-blueberry CD to make 4GB or Better 8GB Live USB with
liveusb-creator

First boot from soas-2-blueberry CD
In Terminal:
"zyx-liveinstaller"
-install to fat 16 or fat 32 USB
-choose / and /boot as same /dev/sd(x)* Be sure it is your USB not your
Hard Disk!

*(hint in terminal: enter "gparted" and look at the available HD and USB
and note name you want to use. Exit gparted)

============Use liveusb-creator to make new Live USB========
2-)Boot from USB made with zyx-liveinstaller
In terminal:
-su -
-root #
-yum install liveusb-creator
-(13 files 22MB will download)
3-) Insert CD containing soas xxxxx.iso  (note this is .iso not Burned
CD from .iso)
4-) Insert 2nd USB stick to use to make LiveUSB (format: fat16, factory
stock formatting)
In terminal:
"liveusb-creator"
-select correct USB (usually 1 letter higher than your boot USB)
-ie: if Booted USB is /dev/sda target USB will be /dev/sdb
-select to find CD with .iso file
-move slider to desired perisitence file size
-start making USB
exit from running USB and then boot New USB you just created!

I used this method to install soas-3-20091228.iso on a stick
.iso does not need to be the same version as are on Installer USB