[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Write to Journal anytime

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sat Feb 6 06:36:08 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 18:33, John Tierney <jtis4stx at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am working with University Professors who are part of the Computers and
> Writing Community
> and would like to have them become more involved in making this Feature an
> important enhancement
> to Sugar. With their expertise and pedagogical guidance, help Sugar Labs
> create a space where
> students and teachers can access resources to help them with the Writing
> Process and Command
> of Language Skills.
>
> With the help of Tammy Conrad-Salvo Associate Director Writing Lab Purdue
> there will be a 9am-12pm
> Sugar Workshop on May 22nd at 2010 Computer and Writing Conference being
> held at Purdue University.
> http://www.digitalparlor.org/cw2010/.
>
> Tammy has also been involved with myself, Gerald Ardito and Walter
> brainstorming the concept of OWL jr. for
> Sugar and the XO Laptop. The idea is to have writing resources available to
> K-12 students which would be able
> to run in an online or offline scenario. it would be great to find a way
> through the New Feature Write to the Journal
> Anytime that these resources would be available.
>
> Purdue Online Writing Lab(OWL)
> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
>
> What is your thoughts on the best process to bring these Professors into the
> Community.

First step I think would be subscribing to the IAEP mailing list, no
need to read each email there, but reading Walter's weekly digest
would be recommendable.

> Should they sign up for multiple lists? This is now on the Developer list
> but when
> the discussion of Feature moves to Pedagogical portions would the thread
> also include
> It's An Education Project List?

Not sure at this level it makes sense to discuss technical aspects,
which is what sugar-devel is for.

> If they want to begin commenting immediately on thread, do they have to be
> signed into mailing list for comments/email to be accepted?

Generally yes.

> To edit and make comments on Sugar Labs wiki I know they must have an
> account
> with Sugar Labs. Is there a link in the Wiki that walks this process through
> Step by Step.

Not that I know of, would be a great addition if properly referenced
and announced.

> Since I have been signed up to the lists for quite sometime I thought I
> should know this but
> found myself unable to answer the question having not looked at it from this
> point of view. I found
> myself going to multiple places in the wiki finding myself unable to present
> a clear strategy to Tammy
> so she could pass along to her other colleagues. There is a very good chance
> I have overlooked the
> information.
>
> Any guidance would be helpful.

Hope this helps in some way.