[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Write to Journal anytime

John Tierney jtis4stx at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:33:16 EST 2010

Hello All,

I am working with University Professors who are part of the Computers and Writing Community
and would like to have them become more involved in making this Feature an important enhancement
to Sugar. With their expertise and pedagogical guidance, help Sugar Labs create a space where
students and teachers can access resources to help them with the Writing Process and Command
of Language Skills.

With the help of Tammy Conrad-Salvo Associate Director Writing Lab Purdue there will be a 9am-12pm
Sugar Workshop on May 22nd at 2010 Computer and Writing Conference being held at Purdue University.
http://www.digitalparlor.org/cw2010/.

Tammy has also been involved with myself, Gerald Ardito and Walter brainstorming the concept of OWL jr. for
Sugar and the XO Laptop. The idea is to have writing resources available to K-12 students which would be able
to run in an online or offline scenario. it would be great to find a way through the New Feature Write to the Journal
Anytime that these resources would be available.

Purdue Online Writing Lab(OWL)
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

What is your thoughts on the best process to bring these Professors into the Community.

Should they sign up for multiple lists? This is now on the Developer list but when
the discussion of Feature moves to Pedagogical portions would the thread also include
It's An Education Project List?

If they want to begin commenting immediately on thread, do they have to be
signed into mailing list for comments/email to be accepted?

To edit and make comments on Sugar Labs wiki I know they must have an account
with Sugar Labs. Is there a link in the Wiki that walks this process through Step by Step.

Since I have been signed up to the lists for quite sometime I thought I should know this but

found myself unable to answer the question having not looked at it from this point of view. I found

myself going to multiple places in the wiki finding myself unable to present a clear strategy to Tammy

so she could pass along to her other colleagues. There is a very good chance I have overlooked the

information.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Thank You!

John Tierney