[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Write to Journal anytime

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Feb 2 04:37:12 EST 2010

Hi,

in the design meting of the 16th of January [1] there was an agreement
to move forward on the 'Write to Journal anytime' [2] Feature like the
following:

"Instead of displaying the naming alert when you close an activity for
the first time we will switch to the Journal detail few of the activity.
The back button on the detail page will bring you, like in general
Journal use, to the main Journal page. The NamingAlert will go away."

The advantage of this solution is addition of context, as the user will
be brought to the obvious place where he can make his notes. The
fullscreen window switch might be confusing, though. At least this
Feature should be tested and we should do a bit more thinking before
making those changes.

As the naming alert did bring confusion, too, we would like to remove it
in 0.88. And aim for a better solution in 0.90. If we do not find
agreement on this we could add a gconf option for that alert, too.

As part of the issue is: That the Journal is not as accessible as it
should be, we could make the Journal more prominent in the Home View.
We could add the Journal to the activity ring (at the top) in the Home
view, colored to make it accessible in the home view all the time (like
described in the 'Resume vs Start New' Feature.

Thanks,
    Simon

[1]
http://meeting.olpcorps.net/sugar-meeting/sugar-meeting.log.20100116_1110.html