[Sugar-devel] Update on recent outreach activities in Universities

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Dec 14 06:59:29 EST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 06:16:45PM +0530, Arjun Sarwal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anish and I have recently been putting in efforts to reach out to University
> Students here in New Delhi in an effort to interest more and more talented
> programmers to join Sugar development efforts.
>
> We observed that there is interest and enthusiasm for students to contribute
> to such projects, when they get to know about them, however there is less
> awareness. After the initial outreach/presentation, we have coached them on
> some of the basics eg getting Fedora up and running, installing
> sugar-jhbuild (some are still facing problems), IRC, asking questions on the
> mailing lists etc

imho, more useful way for newcomers, is staring from activities (and
install sugar core from native packages, in many cases there is no huge need
in recent sugar). Since jhbuild is needed only for coding core modules (but
there are another ways for that as well) that are 1% of entirely sugar.
Moreover jhbuild requires low level knowledge (at the same time, having this
knowledge, people can choose what is more convenient for them, jhbuild or
something else).

> The first batch of 5-7 students who've been interested regularly, will soon
> be joining the list and might be asking questions, as well as looking for
> projects to contribute to :)
>
> -Arjun
>

> --
> Arjun Sarwal