[Sugar-devel] Latest PDF of "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!"

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 10:42:21 EDT 2010

A revised PDF of the manual will be found here:

http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/ActivitiesGuideSugar-en-2010.08.30-15.48.49.pdf

It turns out that making a printed book from a FLOSS Manual is not as
simple as I had thought.  When I got my first printed copy I found
that the fonts were too small for comfortable reading and the font for
the preformatted code samples was so small as to be useless.  We have
temporarily taken the book off Lulu to fix this.  The link is to a PDF
that *should* fix this.   The fonts are 12 pt Courier for preformatted
text and 14 pt Palatino Linotype for the body text.  I had to reformat
all the formatted text in the book to get it to fit on the page.

The page breaks in this book are not the best.  Far too often you'll
see a section header on the bottom of a page and the section text on
the next page.  The new FM software, Booki, may give a way to deal
with this but the current tools don't, as far as I can see.

The PDF is grayscale because thats how FLOSS Manuals print.  I have
asked a young artist in Oregon to come up with a new cover image which
should make the book more appealing.

The original printed book was 198 pages.  This one is 251 pages.

I'm going to look at this PDF on my XO and see if I can spot any
really dumb errors.  If any of you would like to do the same or give
any other feedback on this I'd be obliged to you.

Thanks,

James Simmons