[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.89.4 Development Release

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Aug 30 01:44:29 EDT 2010

Dear Sugar Community,

This is our development release number 4 in the 0.90 development cycle [1]!

We now reached UI Freeze [2]: no more major UI revisions or changes can
be done now. You can still make string changes (e.g. changing a sentence
in a window) before the String Freeze. This should help to encourage
developers to focus on stability and bug-fixing rather than UI changes.
At this point, documentation writers do not have to worry that their
work will become outdated.

We are also glad to announce that three more Features have been pushed.

The need for the Presence Service [3] has been removed [4]: meaning that
activities and the Shell need to interact directly with
non-Sugar-specific services such as Telepathy. From 0.90 the PS is only
needed by Etoys and will be completely dropped in 0.92, hopefully.

The Spiral Home View [5] is an enhancement to the Home View to enable
the display of more icons. The idea is that after the circle becomes too
large, rather than shrinking the icons, it morphs into a spiral. Only
after the spiral no longer fits on the screen do the icons shrink.

New filtering options [6] have been added to the Journal. You can sort
now by size, creation date and modification date.

Full release notes can be found at [7].

Thanks everyone for your great contributions!

In behalf of the sugar community,
     Your Release Team

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.90/Roadmap#Schedule
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release#UI_Freeze
[3] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-presence-service
[4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Remove_Presence_Service
[5] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Spiral_Home_View
[6] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Journal_Sort
[7] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.90/0.89.4_Notes

== Compatibility ==
There are no known compatibility issues, as of today.

== Update to this version ==
Please use the instructions for your distribution (SoaS, Fedora, Ubuntu,
Debian etc) of choice to upgrade to this release. Note that it may take
a while until the release is packaged for each distribution.

===Updated===
*
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar/sugar-0.89.5.tar.bz2
*
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-artwork/sugar-artwork-0.89.4.tar.bz2
*
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-toolkit/sugar-toolkit-0.89.4.tar.bz2
*
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-presence-service/sugar-presence-service-0.90.1.tar.bz2
*
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-datastore/sugar-datastore-0.89.3.tar.bz2

== Glucose news ==

=== sugar ===
* Launch gnome-keyring-daemon from sugar-emulator (Tomeu Vizoso)
* 3G Support: show connection errors {{Bug|1759}} (Daniel Castelo)
* Unneeded debug logs {{Bug|1862}} (Simon Schampijer)
* Activity data directory should be deleted when an activity is deleted
{{Bug|2074}} (Martin Abente)
* Sudden death while clicking around on the journal {{Bug|2064}}
(Aleksey Lim)
* Sugar main window fails to resize on randr resolution change
{{Bug|1725}} (Andrés Ambrois)
* Adding spiral extension to Ring View (Walter Bender)
* Add sorting options to the Journal: size, creation date, modification
date (Andrés Ambrois)
* Remove dependency on the Presence Service {{Bug|416}} (Tomeu Vizoso)

===sugar-artwork===
* Icons for sorting filter (size, creation date, last edited) in the
Journal {{Bug|1915}} (Gary C. Martin)
* Icons for touchpad section in the Control Panel {{Bug|2006}} (Walter
Bender)

=== sugar-toolkit ===
* Delete activities profile data when uninstall {{Bug|2074}} (Martin Abente)
* Remove sugar/__init__.py, it should come from sugar-base {{Bug|1868}}
(Tomeu Vizoso)
* Remove Presence Service: move the code that sets up a shared activity
from the PS into sugar.presence.activity (Tomeu Vizoso)

=== sugar-presence-service ===
*  Remove connection handling now that the Shell takes care of it. Also
make sure we have all the info we need right after the service starts.
(Tomeu Vizoso)

=== sugar-datastore ===
* New metadata fields, creation_time and filesize to support sorting in
the Journal {{Bug|1915}} (Andrés Ambrois)
* Create target directory before importing previews {{Bug|2149}} (carrott)