[Sugar-devel] flickering mouse in an activity on an xo

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Sun Aug 29 10:55:09 EDT 2010

I am experimenting with integrating the hamster graphics library into an XO
activity.
http://github.com/tbaugis/hamster_experiments/wiki ( found on the pycairo
resources page: http://cairographics.org/pycairo/resources/ )

Because of the ease with which animation can be rendered with this library,
I think it might help some developers to create engaging activities.

Unfortunately, I have encountered a problem when I run a very basic test
activity on an XO1-5: the mouse pointer flickers whenever a sprite is
animated.  (This bug also happens when I run the code in fedora desktop on
the XO... but does not happen in the sugar emulator or on my f13 box).  Here
is a video which demonstrates the flickering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBTafiwf38

Here is the test activity if you'd like to see the behaviour and reference
the source:
http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~erikb/tmp/Test.activity.xo

I am hoping that the sugar community might know of issues which might be
responsible for mouse flickering?

Thanks.
Erik