[Sugar-devel] Recording time spent on an activity ?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 26 09:01:11 EDT 2010

Hi Bastien,

On 26 Aug 2010, at 09:05, Bastien <bastien.guerry at wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> There is a frequent request (at least from our tiny 150-XO deployment in
> Madagascar) to be able to assess the time spent on an activity.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's not currently possible.
>
> Is this a request other people met?

I do remember reading some past discussion on this, perhaps a year or two back though. During Sugar Camp Paris some of us had discussions about UI for exposing and methods for collecting what we were calling Achievements, lifted from the wide and successful use of this from the games industry. The idea was to produce a fun way to encourage exploration of activities and sugar, and provide a view (ultimately a Journal integrated view, but could be an activity for testing) that allows quick, friendly, assessment of the usage/involvement made so far e.g. a quick look at a users achievements page would show if they had discovered and were making deep use of collaboration, as those 'badges' would have been collected.

I did a little design work on early ideas (mainly looking for a consistent set of achievement type badge icons) but not much else yet, I still think is a valuable addition, and active time spent in activities would be a useful measurement metric as part of the system.

Longer term these achievement pages could be synched with something like Moodle, or exposed via a users neighbourhood buddy icon.

Perhaps it's time to make a feature page, post some mockups, and get more feedback.

Regards,
--Gary