[Sugar-devel] Feature Freeze exception request: Journal Sort

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 12:08:30 EDT 2010

On Monday, August 23, 2010 04:25:48 am Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 01:24, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Implement sorting in the Journal UI. Also adds support for the two new
> > properties (filesize and ctime).
> >
> > Feature page:
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Journal_Sort
> >
> > Implementations:
> > http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-datastore/repos/journal_sort
> > http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/journal_sort
>
> Some questions:
>
> - what with hard links? Aren't users going to expect that if they
> delete an entry of 50MB that their available space will be increased
> by 50MB?

One way or the other, we are going to leak the abstraction that different
journal entries consume disk space independently; be it by the behavior you
describe, or providing some sort of visual hints. I don't think there's much
we can do except making it clear that file size is just a hint these days
(think filesystem compression).

> - creation time will be always displayed as '%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S' ? What
> about those countries where they expect the fields being ordered in a
> different way? (may be good to format the string in listview.py
> instead of in listmodel.py, so we keep UI decisions out from the
> model).

I agree with that separation of concerns. In fact it was initially that way,
but the format is required by activities such as Etoys, that break unless we
use it. Other activities may also be depending on it, as it is documented in
[0].

> - if we are not interested in sorting by title, we should remove that
> field from the index, because makes the index bigger and also slows
> queries down a bit.

As I've learned from this work, adding/removing DS properties should be done
with care, as everything can break in a gazillion ways. In any case, that
belongs to a different patchset.

> - seems like this feature is still in dicussion in
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1915 so I don't think it makes sense
> to accept it for inclusion in 0.90 at this stage. Also would be good
> to have the feature first accepted in the release set before
> eventually merging it.

It would be a shame for it to miss the boat, but I think that this should get
plenty of testing as it may cause data loss for users.

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
> > --
> > Aleksey