[Sugar-devel] depending on introspection

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org
Sat Aug 21 08:00:06 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Tomeu Vizoso's message of Wed Aug 18 11:05:15 +0200 2010:

> Sascha, what would take to have a modern GNOME stack on the Debian
> systems you use?

As long as newer GNOME libraries won't break existing applications,
somebody setting up a repository with updated GNOME packages would
suffice. Jonas has been doing something like this for Debian Lenny.

If instead GNOME is doing backwards-incompatible flag-day changes (as
some of the posts in this thread suggest), we would need to wait
for Debian (as a whole) to do the switch-over.
Shared libraries have mechanisms to deal with ABI changes (so newer,
backported packages could be installed in parallel to the old ones),
but it may fail for other reasons (e.g. shared data files).

So the really interesting question is: What "modern" GNOME packages do
we want to use in Sugar 0.92, what are their (potentially indirect)
dependencies and what's the compatibility story for the whole set?

I've seen some introspection related stuff fly by in Debian; maybe it's
already enough for Sugar 0.92?

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/