[Sugar-devel] accessibility and favorites view

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 19 04:56:06 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm looking at what would take to make Sugar as accessible as GNOME is
and the biggest roadblock by far that I have found are the views based
on HippoCanvas.

Have been playing with using custom GtkContainer subclasses and things
seem to work but once I looked into removing hippo from the favorites
view I realized the insane amount of dead code we have in there.

So what I'm proposing to do is to remove the code for dragging icons
around (which AFAIK has never been deployed in the field) and also not
try to port all the layouts, only the Spiral one.

Still, I think it's worthy to leave the layout pluggability so people
can keep experimenting easily with different layouts, I'm just not
going to port each of them because there's an enormous amount of work
to do in accessibility in general.

Any opinons?

All this is food for 0.92, of course.

Thanks,