[Sugar-devel] [Design] Deleting Activity directory when deleting Activity bundle

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 18 21:34:10 EDT 2010

On 19 Aug 2010, at 00:38, Thomas Gilliard wrote:

> Walter Bender wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> I disagree with the addition of a checkbox - in my experience, this
>>> kind of complexity will result in a random response from the user.
>>>

>> +1

+1

>>> I agree with the idea of deleting profile data when an activity is
>>> uninstalled. (if they want the profile data, why uninstall the
>>> activity?)
>>>

>> +1

+1

Deleting such data may actually be what is required in the case of something that has saved broken 'profile' data. Erase and re-install is a common user meme (often sabotaged by broken/unexpected preference files living in unknown places). If an activity is storing user activity information in it's data directory (e.g. more than just preference information or data for caching purposes that can be regenerated), I'd assume it to be a design flaw and worthy of a bug ticket in trac. That user state belongs in the Journal.

>> (I presume the concern was over whether or not an update would remove
>> the profile data.)
>>

> A related problem for Soas is that an .xo stores it's activities in a different location (/home/liveuser/Activities) than those installed with the .iso (/user/share/sugar/activities
>
> My experience is that one had to use rmdir -R /user/share/sugar/activities/(....).Activity to make a similar version of an .xo activity start.
>
> Would the "Confirm erase" checkbox check and delete both locations?

If an activity is unbundled in /user/share/sugar/activities/ the list view does not give the user an Erase option. If an activity is in ~/Activities but has permissions that prevent the user from deleting, the Erase option is shown but disabled/dimmed out.

--Gary