[Sugar-devel] touchpad mode selection

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 09:33:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:47 AM,  <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was playing with OS373pyg and managed to disable the touchpad. Fortunately I was able to recover by pressing the power button.
>
> I was expecting to get a dialogue or something. My thinking is that its too easy to switch modes and that there should be some warning.
>
> There is no key press combination that reverts the change.

I think this is a good idea. Anyone have suggestions as to what key we
should assign?

> Maybe something like the Windows change display settings, where you have to confirm your selection within a time period, would be a good addition?

While you cursor is over the button, you can just click to revert. But
maybe  a more verbose string indicating what the button does would be
helpful?

> Tony

The current implementation reverts to capacitive mode by default.

>> > http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2006/0001-touchpad-with-finger-mode-default.patch
>> > defaults to capacitive on boot. It no longer uses the FLAG_FILE and
>> > thus that file is no longer needed by your patch either. Its presence
>> > will not impact the functionality, as far as I know. I've tested this
>> > on 258py. I'd appreciate your doing a quick review just to make sure I
>> > didn't miss anything.
>> >
>> > -walter
>>
>> Hi Walter,
>>
>> first of all thanks for your work!
>>
>> I have been testing the device option on 850 XO-1.0 (it is just a matter
>> of copying the files over from the 0.90 patch that just landed in master).
>>
>> I find it quite hard to use the stylus mode as one really needs to
>> scratch over the touchpad. Especially when one wants to revert the
>> setting after using the stylus mode it is hard to reveal the frame, move
>> to the icon and click it.
>>
>> There have been discussions about which mode it should have after
>> booting. Another case where it might hard to discover which mode one is
>> using at that time is after suspend. You have to scratch as well in
>> order to wake up the machine.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Simon
>>
>> PS: style nitpick: I would capitalize the strings 'style' and 'finger'
>> and align them left in the palette.
>>
>> PSS: if others want to test on the XO-1.0 I can make some rpms quickly.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs