[Sugar-devel] touchpad mode selection

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Aug 18 08:30:02 EDT 2010

simon wrote:
 > On 08/07/2010 08:22 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
 > > On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Paul Fox<pgf at laptop.org>  wrote:
 > >> walter -- currently we try at boot time and set the touchpad to
 > >> whichever mode the user last requested.  moving this
 > >> initialization to sugar was one of the last changes you made to
 > >> the sugar code, i think.
 > >>
 > >> but when you were in the office you mentioned that it might be
 > >> preferable to always revert to capacitive (normal) mode at boot
 > >> time, so that the user doesn't get stuck or confused by "pen
 > >> mode" (which is certainly less "discoverable' than normal mode).
 > >>
 > >> the more i think about it, the more i think that's a good idea.
 > >> what do other people (who, hopefully have tried both modes)
 > >> think?
 > >>

 > >> paul
 > >> =---------------------
 > >>   paul fox, pgf at laptop.org
 > >>

 > http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2006/0001-touchpad-with-finger-mode-
 > default.patch
 > > defaults to capacitive on boot. It no longer uses the FLAG_FILE and
 > > thus that file is no longer needed by your patch either. Its presence
 > > will not impact the functionality, as far as I know. I've tested this
 > > on 258py. I'd appreciate your doing a quick review just to make sure I
 > > didn't miss anything.
 > >
 > > -walter
 >
 > Hi Walter,
 >
 > first of all thanks for your work!
 >
 > I have been testing the device option on 850 XO-1.0 (it is just a matter
 > of copying the files over from the 0.90 patch that just landed in master).
 >
 > I find it quite hard to use the stylus mode as one really needs to
 > scratch over the touchpad. Especially when one wants to revert the
 > setting after using the stylus mode it is hard to reveal the frame, move
 > to the icon and click it.

yes, the stylus mode requires a lot of pressure.

 > There have been discussions about which mode it should have after
 > booting.

the system support for enabling stylus mode at boot was removed recently --
i can't remember if it's gone in 850 or 851.  this leaves the decision
up to sugar -- and i'm now firmly in the camp that the pad should revert
to capacitive mode at boot time.

 > Another case where it might hard to discover which mode one is
 > using at that time is after suspend. You have to scratch as well in
 > order to wake up the machine.

but what would you propose?  switching to "finger" mode just before
suspending, and back to stylus mode right after resume?

paul

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org