[Sugar-devel] code submitted for review should have been tested

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 17 14:52:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Because of this specific commit, file transfers have been broken since
> early this year and it's obvious that this code wasn't tested at all:
>
> http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/11828796
>
> Given the current poor state of our testing efforts, committers should
> be extra careful about this.

Out of curiosity: what was the failure?  It's not obvious to me, in
reading the patch; I can see how problems wouldn't be caught by a
reviewer.  If it's a Python syntax problem, you might consider using a
tool to automatically report (ie, via email or directly into a
bugtracker) uncaught python exceptions.  That would give you better
coverage at least of brain-dead "it will crash as soon as you try to
use it" problems.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )