[Sugar-devel] Sugarbot working on latest Sugar

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Aug 11 11:23:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 17:17, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Tim McNamara's message of Sun Aug 08 02:06:21 +0200 2010:
>
>> Is there interest in pushing an updated sugarbot to git.sl.o?
>
> Sure, go ahead! If you need commit rights, please write to systems@ and
> I'll transfer the project to you. The original author, a GSoC student,
> has already stated having no interest to work on it any further.
>
>> I have spent some time over the last three days getting Sugarbot to run in
>> sugar-jhbuild. After a few code changes, and lots of reading, I have been
>> successful.
>
> Great! And thanks for working on this. Automated UI testing is our most
> pressing need right now (IMO at least). It enables faster, easier and
> better testing of code changes (including upstream changes).
>
>> Think... Sugarbot's widget identification system worked well when text-based
>> labels were common place. Recent Sugar versions have moved to a highly
>> icon-based naming system. Developers will either need to make use
>> of gtk.Widget.set_name() or another widget identification algorithm will
>> need to be established.
>>
>> There are several things under the hood that I think would be useful. I
>> think some of what I would like to do would be classed as code style
>> changes, rather than substantive though.
>
> I don't have time to answer more in-depth, but one thing I'd like to
> point out is that Gnome is using dogtail for UI testing which seems to
> be rather similar to SugarBot so we might want to use that instead. IIRC
> it even comes with some tools to make writing tests easier (a "macro
> recorder" thingie and a widget tree exploration GUI). As much as I'd hate
> to see a GSoC project being never put into real use, the advantage of
> having someone else maintain the code is rather important for now.
> But maybe we can reuse some code or ideas from SugarBot to make it easier
> to write test cases for activities?

The biggest difference between dogtail and sugarbot is how they
discover the widgets. Dogtail uses AT-SPI and sugarbot uses the
introspection features in Python.

We anyway need to make Sugar work under AT-SPI because of
accessibility so would be good to see movement in that area.

Regards,

Tomeu