[Sugar-devel] modified Home View

Christian Marc Schmidt christianmarc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 10:37:01 EDT 2010

Comments inline...

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> like
> > an elegant and scalable solution. Favoriting could happen in the Journal,
> or
> > we could opt to always display all activities--either seems like a
> > potentially workable solution...
> > We should also come back to the resume/start new proposal and figure out
> if
> > we want to adopt any of the proposals.
> >
> > Christian
> > On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:

> hilaire.fernandes at gmail.com>

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Spiral_Home_View#Detailed_Description
> generate

> the
> fixed
> and/or

> state
> into
> could
> >>
> >> Just as a follow up to my above comment, attached is a quick home view
> >> vector mockup. It assumes the list view is gone, with Journal stars
> being
> >> used to indicate (arbitrary entry) home favourites. It shows a 'snap to
> >> spiral' pattern, with several random clusters of activities/objects
> >> previously dragged out of the pattern by the user. Coloured icons would
> >> resume specific activity id objects, grey icons would be used to launch
> new
> >> instances (with the usual resume drop down palette of N most recent
> >> activities of that type).
> >>
> >> The spiral would re-flow once an icon is dragged out and dropped (in
> empty
> >> space), or dragged in and dropped (on an already snapped icon). If all
> icons
> >> were dragged out you would have what would look like the random layout,
> >> dragging an icon back onto the central XO would start reflowing a
> snapped
> >> pattern design again, as would adding new activity favourites.
> >>
> >> Again, just a future possible approach. Definitely no need to try and
> land
> >> something like this all in one go.
> >>
> >> --Gary

> already
> really

> It's
> variables —

> > --
> > anything at christianmarcschmidt.com
> > 917/ 575 0013
> >
> > http://www.christianmarcschmidt.com
> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/christianmarcschmidt
> > http://twitter.com/cms_

> I've added back in the MEDIUM_ICON_SIZE to the Ring when there are
> only a few icons. (See
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Spiral_Home_View#Detailed_Description
> ).
> Specific uestions for the design team:
>
> (1) Can we reach consensus re spiraling in from the MAXIMUM radius
> once the Ring is full or spiraling out from the MINIMUM radius once

I would say spiraling in from max radius. That way we can maximize the
efficiency of the ring, before transitioning to the spiral.

Walter, looking at your mockups I'd try to come up with an algorithm that
gives us a looser spiral with more space between each segment of the spiral,
more along the lines of what Gary mocked up. The screenshots on the wiki
look very dense. Gary's mockup really proved to me that this can work!

> (2) Is is OK to add an INTERMEDIATE icon size between STANDARD and SMALL?

I'd even go further and suggest that we could have icons scale dynamically
within the ring/spiral, to achieve maximum balance between the available
space and icon legibility.

My only concern here is that we'd need to find the right balance so as not
to interrupt the general zoom metaphor, going from large to small icons
(home to neighborhood). This means we probably need to put a cap on the
bottom end of the scale, not allowing icons to become too small so that they
could reach the size of icons in the groups view...

All this will take lots of exploration I think before getting it right. I
can work on mockups if that would help...

> (3) In regard to Q1, I could trigger the spiral before the Ring hits
> the MAXIMUM radius, perhaps at MAXIMUM-icon_size? (I've not
> illustrated this yet.)

Yes, I think that probably makes sense. We should play through all the
possibilities and then make a decision based on what works best...

anything at christianmarcschmidt.com
917/ 575 0013