[Sugar-devel] [REVIEW] adding spiral to Home View

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:51:13 EDT 2010

Hi Walter,

On 6 Aug 2010, at 19:27, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Sascha Silbe
>> <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Fri Aug 06 17:48:36 +0200 2010:

>>> It also doesn't apply for me, though at a different point:
>>>
>>> sascha.silbe at twin:~/sugar-jhbuild/source/sugar-toolkit$ git am ~/x.patch
>>> Applying: adding spiral to Home View
>>> fatal: corrupt patch at line 62
>>> Patch failed at 0001 adding spiral to Home View
>>> When you have resolved this problem run "git am --resolved".
>>> If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git am --skip".
>>> To restore the original branch and stop patching run "git am --abort".
>>>

>>> Line 62 has been wrapped by Walters MUA:
>>>
>>> +            logging.debug('resetting count: %d > %d' % (self._count,
>>> children_count))
>>>

>>> The easiest way to avoid this kind of issue is to use git send-email.
>>> If anyone has trouble getting git send-email to talk to their regular
>>> mail server, we can configure sunjammer to accept mails via SMTP/AUTH.
>>>
>>> Sascha
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://sascha.silbe.org/
>>> http://www.infra-silbe.de/

>> Sorrry about that. I've had trouble getting git sendmail to work on my
>> machine...
>>
>> I'll also attach the patch to the ticket for this enhancement, which I
>> don't think has been created yet.
>
> Tracking this enhancement here:
>
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2143/

Thanks, the patch from this ticket applied just fine. Few of quick observations/questions:

- We should think how Sugar handles downloaded patches a little better ;-) Downloads to Journal fine, but then it will only want to open in Etoys so no easy way to get the patch out of Journal to apply. In the end I copy and pasted from the raw text version of the patch with Browse on the ticket, then went to Terminal and created a new patch file with vi and pasted, saved, patched. Hmmm, I wonder if all we would need to close this dog food gap is a simple Patch activity that can resume and apply .patch files from the Journal.

- Downloaded a load more activities to try and trigger the spiral, and notices another three svg icons that don't render correctly in the latest F13 builds. Scratch, Paint, and Kandid. I'll fix them up and email the activity authors.

- I should go look through the code... But does the circle/spiral correctly adapt to screen resolutions? Are you testing in an 800x600 window? In my default 1024x768 looks like it could be a little more generous with the spacing/size as there's plenty of white space (will try 1200x900 later). Maybe this is another case where the SUGAR_SCALING value of 72 or 100 is limiting layout flexibility for different resolution screens.

--Gary