[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] not uninstall when a .xo bundle is deleted from the journal (was Re: Journal and Updating Software Process)

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 1 12:20:58 EDT 2010

On 1 Aug 2010, at 15:20, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> long time ago we decided that when an activity bundle was removed from
> the journal, it should also be uninstalled.
>
> There's a report from Uruguay about teachers not expecting this and
> considering it a bug.
>
> What are people's opinions on requiring two separate steps to delete
> an activity bundle from the journal and uninstalling it?

Unless we can agree on the Journal becomes the place to manage bundles — something I thought was a future desire/hope — I'd vote for separating Journal bundle deletion from the activity uninstall step.

However, we have UX reports from deployer/deployments that home list view is confusing users (they think they are in the Journal; they are expecting the home ring and are now lost). One obvious solution (Walter already raised this) would be to remove list view and manage activities from the Journal. All installed activities would need to show up in the Journal for management, we'd need an obvious way to quickly filter for them, favourite/un-favourite them, and add the various safeguards to prevent their unintentional/unwanted erasure. There's at least one deployer who seems strongly against this use of the Journal each time it is raised (argument is if the user didn't create it, it shouldn't be in their Journal).

Regards,
--Gary