[Sugar-devel] Introduction to this year's GSoC teams

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Tue Apr 27 19:38:35 EDT 2010

Thank you to all of the students and mentors that have invested their time
in assisting Sugar Labs through the GSoC application process.
Contratulations to the successful students! As you will have inferred from
my previous emails, this year's applications were of a very high calibre.

If you were unsuccessful, we would still love your contributions! There were
several applications that we regretfully needed to turn down that would be
excellent additions to Sugar.

Here are the successful projects:

*"Enhancing Sugar on a Stick"*
  Sebastian Dziallas (sdziallas), mentored by Walter Bender
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2010/Improved_Sugar_on_a_Stick
  Selected comments:

   - "The author of this proposal has outlined a realistic timeline for a
   valuable project and has demonstrated that he has the knowledge, motivation,
   and contacts necessary to succeed and to grow."
   - "SoaS is a critial part of the Sugar strategy for reaching out to
   teachers."

**
*"Pippy Improvements"*
  Dinko Galetić (dgaletic), mentored by Michael Stone
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2010/Pippy_improvements
  Selected comments:

   - "This is a fine proposal, well aligned with Sugar's goals, made by a
   talented candidate."

*"Abstract Browser"*
  Lucian Branescu Mihaila (lucian), mentored by Luis Gustavo Lira
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2010/AbstractBrowser
  Selected comments:

   - "This is a clear and focused proposal about a clear need"
   - "Lucian demonstrated that he is up to the task last summer--he could
   revitalize this important corner of Sugar"

I wish the teams the best of luck. Congratulations to the sucessful
students!

I'll be updating the wiki today my time. Please feel to come to me with any
questions.

Regards,

Tim McNamara
Sugar Labs GSoC 2010 Coordinator