[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] SOAS-3: Final Activity List - Attention needed!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:54:55 EDT 2010

Sean,

I would much rather we work together as well!

Firstly your point "(SoaS-1 was beta-1, SoaS-2 was v1, etc.)" is a
completely different point of view than your previous official press
releases from SugarLabs [1] and [2]. I believe one of the major points
of marketing is about consistency.

To quote the first release "LinuxTag, Berlin, June 24, 2009: Sugar
Labs™, nonprofit provider of the Sugar Learning Platform to over
one-million children worldwide, announces the immediate availability
of Sugar on a Stick v1 Strawberry." and the second "PARIS, December 8,
2009 — Netbook World Summit — Sugar Labs(R), volunteer-driven
nonprofit provider of the Sugar Learning Platform for over one-million
children around the world, announces the release of Sugar on a Stick
v2 Blueberry."

You are correct.... we all want "to make Sugar better known". The
whole reason we have slimmed down the Activities is to make the
included Activities stable so "Sugar could catch on quickly if robust"
but I completely disagree with your "the new version won't fulfil the
demo role". The whole point of the Activities chosen was to cover all
the major features of Sugar in a group of Activities that is stable
and works. As stated previously I and others think we are better off
shipping a smaller selection of Activities that cover all main
features of Sugar such as Collaboration and Media rather than 100s of
Activities that don't work as expected, crash randomly or fail of
different hardware. So what major features of Sugar have we missed in
the list of included Activities?

Given that there is not enough people doing QA and that I believe we
are better off shipping a smaller stable base that demos the core
features of Sugar. If we stop releasing official releases until we had
the resources to make every Activity stable and tested we would never
have released "Sugar on a Stick v1 Strawberry" or "Sugar on a Stick v2
Blueberry" and by the time that happened for v3 people would have long
since forgotten that SoaS even existed..... not what the ides of
Marketing is about and we wouldn't be making "Sugar better known, to
developers, to teachers, and to the industry (OEMs...)."

Peter

[1] http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=press&article=20090624&language=english#20090624
[2] http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=press&article=20091208&language=english#20091208