[Sugar-devel] Did someone say Webkit?

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 16:10:53 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Lucian Branescu
<lucian.branescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> There already is a mostly complete pywebkitgtk activity, Surf.
>
> There has been a lot of debate on whether webkit is better than gecko
> for our purposes. I also plan to only support what is reasonably easy
> to support and let the abstraction layer be leaky.
>
> This way, the new Browse can much more easily be ported to another web
> engine if needed. In fact, as the abstraction layer grows more
> complete, Browse can be 'ported' to the rest of the abstraction layer
> (as opposed to AbstractBrowser+hulahop events which would be the first
> step).

Something which concerns me is the relative lack of maintainer
activity for pywebkitgtk. For example,
http://code.google.com/p/pywebkitgtk/issues/detail?id=44 lists an
issue which was reported in December last year, and there has been no
feedback on it (there is a proposed patch as well). The fix for the
issue would help address a few crashers in Read in F-12 and above.
Of course, as we move to gobject-introspection and friends, this
should become less of a concern.
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--