[Sugar-devel] Support for EPUB with Read in sugar-jhbuild?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Apr 25 12:50:30 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 22:21 -0500, James Simmons wrote:
> 1). How do I get Read as delivered by sugar-jhbuld to work with EPUBs?
>
> 2). Does Read support EPUBs on SoaS right now?  If not, what are our
> future plans regarding EPUB support?

The only Linux reader that supports EPUB seems to be KDE's Okular,
through libepub (ebook-tools). Moreover, Okular does not seem to
dynamically reflow the text, which was the only useful feature EPUB had
over PDF.

Anyway, if we *do* support it, does it have to be in Read? Can't we have
one activity per file format instead? It may be simpler from a
maintenance and UI design PoV. Besides, EPUB resembles more HTML than
PDF.