[Sugar-devel] Keep confusion, yet again

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:27:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Eben,
>
>   > I'd lean toward the first option. It's intended purpose was
>   > always to be a convenience on top of auto-save, that simply
>   > forced a new version. Once Sugar has full version support, and a
>   > Journal updated to take advantage of it, restoring the Keep
>   > functionality as it exists probably wouldn't cause problems
>   > anymore. Until then, I think the auto-save is much friendlier
>   > than the usual prompt-on-quit, with the possibility for lost
>   > work.
>
> Think I'm having trouble following -- are you proposing that we remove
> the Keep button now, and also remove the prompt-on-quit dialog now?

No, sorry.  The current prompt-on-quit is fine, as it only occurs when
you stop a brand new activity instance. It basically asks "do you want
me to keep track of this thing in your Journal," and from then on it
will auto-save as usual.

Since the Keep button is causing so much confusion, I was proposing to
remove it for now (until we have more complete version support), but
keep the prompt the first time a new instance is stopped. We can still
skip the prompt if the instance is manually renamed, under the
assumption that naming the item implies a desire to track it in the
Journal.

Eben