[Sugar-devel] Fw: #1941 UNSP: ViewSlides-11 does not start

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:14:22 EDT 2010

Aleksey,

I've been trying to recreate this.  It works OK in the Sugar
environment on F10 and F11 and it worked fine in the sugar-jhbuild I
was using on F11.  I assumed that my sugar-jhbuild was out of date so
I did an update on it by running sugar-jhbuild with no arguments and
after a couple of hiccups I got it to compile everything but it now
will not run.  The Xephyr window opens briefly then crashes with a
message about something being temporarily unavailable.  I didn't have
time this morning to get the actual message.  I'll probably end up
cleaning out my sugar-jhbuild directory and starting over tonight.

I am puzzled by the stack trace on the bug report.  I use code to
detect whether new or old toolbars are needed, (by doing an import of
the new toolbar package and catching the exception) and then I build
the toolbar needed.  The code in question is used by the old toolbar.
So it looks like my version detection doesn't work and the legacy
toolbar stuff is broken as well.

I want all my Activities to support every version of Sugar from .82 on
and they all use this method so there is a good chance they are all
broken.  Worse, I documented this method in the "Make Your Own Sugar
Activities!" book so I have to revise that chapter too.

If you have any ideas on how I could make my Activities work with both
new and old toolbars, or tell me what changed with .88 that's breaking
what I'm doing I'd be obliged.

Thanks,

James Simmons