[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Simple Journal Backup & Restore

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Apr 8 23:52:26 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 17:04 -0300, Esteban Arias wrote:
> Another possible design:
>
> In the volumes Toolbar of the Journal, when the user press click right
> on the volume connected, the palette shows also: "Backup Journal" and
> "Restore Journal"

+1. I like this idea.

To backup/restore on the schoolserver, we could add similar commands to
the palette of the Journal icon on the volumes toolbar. It sounds more
natural there than in the control panel.

Martin (Langhoff, not Abente): the backup UI delegates the actual work
to 3 simple shell scripts which were written by Daniel Drake last year.
They depend on other files from ds-backup-client, so it would make sense
to fold them in there.

The glue scripts are here:

 http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/sugar/journal-backup
 http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/sugar/journal-backup-list
 http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/sugar/journal-restore

Alternatively, we could put these into the sugar-datastore package
alongside with the other bits from the ds-backup-client package. This
would save us the time to get a new package through the Fedora review
process.

Since we need a working backup/restore solution by next Monday, I've
already included the scripts in a custom ds-backup-client package. If we
decide to go for a different solution, I'll make the necessary changes
after the release.