[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Show file size in Journal

Kenny Meyer knny.myer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 08:54:56 EDT 2010

Sascha Silbe (sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:43:29PM -0300, Kenny Meyer wrote:
>
> >Bernie and I have been discussing about showing the file size in
> >Journal view
> >of Sugar 0.84.x, [...]
> As already mentioned on the ticket, Sugar 0.86+ does that (in the
> details view). The commits are 85b833 [1] and 6c3fd034 [2]. A quick
> look suggest they should be easy enough to backport.
>
> >Now, I thought of an extra column "Size", showing the size of the
> >file in bytes.
> I don't think taking away space from other columns is a good idea on
> the XO.
>
> Reclaiming space sounds like a good use case for a separate activity
> that shows the data store in a view optimized for this particular
> task.
>

> [1] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/85b833960ded9148fbb42e773720ba3bcb02145e
> [2] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-toolkit/repos/mainline/commits/6c3fd0346c1876ad501c3c91d50cdf42f7e0a9dc
>
> CU Sascha
>
> --
> http://sascha.silbe.org/
> http://www.infra-silbe.de/

Hi Sascha,

> >Bernie and I have been discussing about showing the file size in
> >Journal view
> >of Sugar 0.84.x, [...]
> As already mentioned on the ticket, Sugar 0.86+ does that (in the
> details view). The commits are 85b833 [1] and 6c3fd034 [2]. A quick
> look suggest they should be easy enough to backport.
We are aware of tickets #1215 and #1033, but the idea of the enhancement was
showing the file size in the normal view.

> >Now, I thought of an extra column "Size", showing the size of the
> >file in bytes.
> I don't think taking away space from other columns is a good idea on
> the XO.
>
> Reclaiming space sounds like a good use case for a separate activity
> that shows the data store in a view optimized for this particular
> task.
That sounds reasonable, but I will try one more time providing ideas about
showing the file size optionally:

* Adding a button widget to enable/disable viewing file size to the Journal's
  toolbar.
* Adding a "Sort by..." selection area to the toolbar.
* After a searching the wiki I actually found a good approach IMHO, which was
  proposed by yourself last year ago [1], being aware that you go one level
  higher and propose to sort Journal list items by file size. [2]

  Is this already in process or still a proposal/idea?

I think the better solution, in long-term view, would be the third option, as the
first and second can only be described as quick hacks, which would be
thrown away anyway with a redesign.

Thanks for your time.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Journal
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/b/b2/Journal_mockup_gary_list_extended_palette.png/640px-Journal_mockup_gary_list_extended_palette.png

--
  Kenny Meyer
  Software Geek | http://kenny.alwaysdata.net

  Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars..
    - Les Brown