[Sugar-devel] Who maintains Hulahop?!?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Apr 8 06:31:46 EDT 2010

Hi Peter (and others),

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 10:19:11AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Hi Sugar developers,
>>
>> I am wondering: Who maintains Hulahop?
>>
>> The code currently works in Debian only because I leave alone a
>> hardcoded rpath, which I am told is bad.
>>
>> As I understand it, Ubuntu has a hard time getting the code to work
>> properly, possibly due to same issue.
>>

>> I would like to discuss that issue with those of you involved in the
>> coding of Hulahop, and fellow Debian developer Mike Hommey, who
>> maintains xulrunner and seems an expert in this area, have offered to
>> help clean up the code.
>
>There doesn't seem to be an rpath issue with the build in Fedora. You
>can try the details that Fedora specifies for fixing rapth issues, it
>will work for any build system as its generic for autoconf based buils.
>The section for 'removing rpath' is probably what your after.
>
>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath

Thanks for the suggestion.  tried that already, however (using chrpath),
but the library then fails completely.

As I understand it, this is tied to how xulrunner is compiled, so if it
"just works" on Fedora, I suspect this to be becuase the library paths
of xulrunner is already included in some lookup path somewhere.  I
really do not know the details here, which is why I involved Mike Hommey
who packages xulrunner for Debian and have offered to help improve the
Hulahop code to (as I understand it) a more generic style usable not
only on systems happening to be modelled the same as Fedora.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas