[Sugar-devel] [GSoC] Improved Sugar on a Stick Proposal

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 10:10:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have been busy lately and will continue to be for the next couple of
> weeks. However, summer possibility exploration happens, too. So. Here's
> a GSoC proposal. Comments appreciated! :)
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2010/Improved_Sugar_on_a_Stick

Looks like a great proposal!

The only thing that initially threw me off a bit was the first
sentence "finding
ways for users ... to interact with developers". This lead me to believe
we're talking about direct communication facilities or something (and I was
very intrigued by what you had in mind;-) rather than users being able to
simply submit reports about hardware issues, bugs, etc.

I'm also not entirely convinced that the control panel is necessarily the
place where this functionality should live (especially since I still look at
the Control Panel as something that most users shouldn't really have to
touch at all and if so only to make very occasional changes to basic
configuration details). It seems like a more system-wide approach could be
more efficient here (however this might be beyond what's achievable during
GSoC)...

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Christoph