[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Activity version compatibility

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Sep 28 15:42:47 EDT 2009

Hi Wade,

On 28 Sep 2009, at 13:26, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> Hey Bert,
>
> I wasn't aware of host_version - it looks like it's supported for
> content bundles, with any value other than 1 (hardcoded) raising a
> MalformedBundleException.  It's ignored for activity bundles.  So
> basically it was written into the spec and then dropped.
>
> I suppose we could resurrect host_version, or else add the new
> field.  I'm open to either avenue.  (Though I feel like just using
> the Sugar version as the value would be simpler than maintaining an
> independent version number)

My main concern is, "how will most developers know what versions of
Sugar their activity will work under?" This is going to be an ever
growing .info string that will need constant maintenance once added.
Will it be a white list of sugar versions, a black list of sugar
versions, a combination of both, with omissions assuming it works, or
fails?

So we end up with something like this in the .info that we may need to
update on every release:

	host_version = +0.82; -0.83; +0.84; +0.86

If we only have this detection back ported for 0.84 and 0.86 I guess
the 0.82 is irrelevant even though that's what the majority of Sugar
users are currently using. I'd be likely to leave this line out and
accept any bug reports as feedback for 'please fix your activity to
work with this version of Sugar'.

I'd much rather put the effort into fixing the launch pulsing window,
so it is not so stupid. It needs to recognise when a process failed to
start, and, at the very least, exit quickly back to the rest of the UI.

It could (at a later date) be extended to do something smart with the
fail case; report the error to the user somehow – nice pretty error
graphic, the original mac bomb icon was a legend in its time, perhaps
a large bug icon [1] for 5 seconds ;-) – rather than just 'not
starting'; the UI could potentially lead folks to the crash log, or
just allow revealing the last traceback (if found) for manual
reporting (or debugging); the UI could potentially allow (only if
connected to the internet) the bug to be automatically posted back to
SL/developer for some automatic data mining to help decide which fail
cases folks hist most.

[1] I cleaned up Walters TA bug icon for use in the new Log toolbar,
but it didn't make it in this time around http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Toolbar-bug.png

Sorry to be seeming to rain a little on the idea of release version
checking, but I'm not sure most developers will ever fill this out
correctly, and we're better of just being smarter about catching
Activity (start-up) tracebacks quickly. And happy to help in this area
if folks think this a good direction.

Regards,
--Gary