[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Activity version compatibility

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Sep 28 10:41:03 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> (moving to devel list)
>
> I thought that's what host_version is for?

I asked that exact question seven days ago:

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-September/019643.html

I'm copying the relevant part of that message below.  My suggested
design appears to be similar to Wade's with two major differences:

1. I suggested hijacking host_version instead of creating a new field.
2. I suggested adding an API so that an activity could query the
actual version and adapt itself to the underlying functionality.

Bill Bogstad

Here's the excerpt:

The lack of good dependency reporting and version tracking for
Activities makes this difficult.   Something like XO bundles could
work better for  for some scenarios though.

For example, has anyone ever done anything with the 'host_version'
field in the Activities *.info file?  Maybe it could be hijacked for
Sugar library dependencies. Not as remotely capable as full dependency
checking, but core Sugar (glucose) could at least use this for direct
Activity dependency issues.  Preferentially with a pop-up telling
people there may be incompatibilities.  Activities that stick with
direct Sugar supplied functionality would be safe.  Glucose would know
what range of values it supports and would alert if an Activity is
outside of that range.  Activities would request the minimum value
that works for them in their info file. Perhaps Activities could also
query for the maximum value supported and change their behavior based
on it.  (This assumes that Glucose functionality is monotonically
increasing and the cost of retaining compatibility with older versions
of the Glucose API is reasonable for at least a few releases.)