[Sugar-devel] [Systems] more mirrors

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Sun Sep 27 16:14:15 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 13:53 -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> El Mon, 21-09-2009 a las 09:16 +0200, Marten Vijn escribió:
<snip>

> Increasing the number of mirrors would certainly not hurt us, but I'm
> not sure how beneficial it is unless we start pointing users at these
> mirrors.
>
> The most rudimentary way would be doing round-robin DNS on
> download.sugarlabs.org.  The next step would be delegating
> download.sugarlabs.org to smart nameservers with GeoIP and dynamic
> mirror add/removal based on monitoring.  But wouldn't this be a
> duplication of what services like Cacheboy and Mirrorbrain already do?

I don't  see roundrobin as a solution. (details below)

CacheBoy would be the solution if:
- one or more for could join cacheboy
- if/when cacheboy is open source

Since the mirror do have delta's in the path Mirrorbrain would the
current solution.

> We also have a namespace problem to address: last year, Marco convinced
> me to shorten the URL by scrapping the "/sugar" prefix.  This means that
> mirrors would now have to configure a virtual host for
> download.sugarlabs.org.  We could fix this by re-introducing /sugar and
> adding temporary compatibility aliases to the main server, but it
> wouldn't work for the mirrors.  What do you think?

It would not solve it.

http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/3/SoaS3-200908182110.iso

http://download2.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/3/SoaS3-200908182110.iso

http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/sugarlabs/soas/snapshots/3/SoaS3-200908182110.iso

http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Sugar/soas/snapshots/3/SoaS3-200908182110.iso

http://sugarlabs.cdn.cacheboy.net/soas/snapshots/3/SoaS3-200908182110.iso

so 3 out of 5 match, it does not look very promising when grow to more
mirrors. Thats why I like the CacheBoy solution.

cheers,
Marten

--
this email is sent from my mainframe.....
http://martenvijn.nl                Sugar on a Stick