[Sugar-devel] RFC: Catch-all Trac component, bug wrangling team

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Sep 22 18:07:21 EDT 2009

Hi!

I'd like to propose
a) adding a "catch-all" component on bugs.sugarlabs.org and
b) making the catch-all component the default.
c) "finding" a bug wrangler (individual or team).

An increasing number of bugs get assigned to the wrong component
(usually "sugar" because it's the default) and often just stay there for
a long time.

To make a real difference, the catch-all component should _not_ be
assigned to one of the usual, already busy suspects.

On the Gentoo Bugzilla, Jakub Moc did an awesome job as a "bug wrangler"
[1]. If you didn't find an existing ticket and filed a new one, he
usually redirected you to the right one instead (closing yours as
duplicate). His memory was amazing.
While I don't expect anyone to even come close to that standard, we
could use someone doing bug wrangling work, i.e.:

- assign new bugs to the correct component
- assign type (defect / feature request) and initial severity (data loss
-> critical, cosmetic change -> trivial)
- ask for additional information if incomplete (logs, versions, steps to
reproduce, ...)

Please note that detailed technical knowledge is _not_ necessary to do
this job properly - just a general idea of how the parts of Sugar fit
together. The developers can easily bounce a ticket to a "sibling"
component once they know what's going on.

In the past we've had some instances of a Bug Triage (*) team, recruited
from the usual suspects, each time only lasting shortly (e.g. directly
prior to SoaS or Sugar release). With a permanent bug wrangling team (or
person) the workload is spread over time and thus much easier to manage.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/bug-wranglers/
(*) "Triage" is also used by Ubuntu to describe bug wrangling work. I
try to avoid the term because it describes a military process that has
been adopted in civil "emergency response" teams. I think it suffices to
say that both are problematic.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/