[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOBS] SoaS: Searching for Decision Panel volunteers.

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Mon Sep 21 12:27:22 EDT 2009

> For long-term security and support, we could adopt the Linux model: push
> this concern down to the distributors and let them do a profitable
> business out of it.
>
> This creates a sustainable market for Sugar.  Linux distributors who
> have successfully built a reputation for offering good customer support,
> such as Red Hat, do make good profits and do reinvest a large part
> of them to contribute back to Linux development.  Everyone wins.

I'm afraid you cannot « push » anything down to the distributors.
Distributions will do what they do: package Sugar and let users do whatever
they want to with it.

However, as far as I can see right now, there is no identifiable market for
Sugar. Yes, there are potentials, but until there is a distinct product,
there is no market. Getting Sugar into the distributions, while worthy and
necessary, does not guarantee the creation of that product.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>