[Sugar-devel] [Debian-olpc-devel] [IAEP] Glucose 0.84 and 0.85 packaged for Debian!

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Sep 20 20:30:07 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 03:24:23AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 06:49:00PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. manually sync /debian from git.debian.org to git.gnewsense.org
>>> 3. do final work in git.gnewsense.org
>>
>> Is Alioth such a cruel place to work together?  Is it me - am I awful to
>> work with?  Why do you ask for my advice on how to most effectively avoid
>> working together with me?!?
>
> Sorry for being aggressive above!

No problem.  I think we all experience the emotions you expressed from
time to time.  The GPL can be a cruel lover!  The situation is that
Debian is a technically excellent and flexibility which is great for
customizing.

A couple of months ago your packaging systems was pretty new.... and
confusing.  Yesterday I was able to build test packages for GnewSense
and Ubuntu.  Pretty Cool.

> I realize now (after some sleep, and then working some on a talk I will hold
> next week in Taiwan about interaction between upstreams, distros and
> subdistros) that branching off a Git is a *use* of my work.  I should not
> discourage *use*, even if it comes in a diferent form than I had envisioned.

> So please accept my apology, and if not too late (if my initial response
> didn't discourage you), then please do return with whatever technical
> questions you have regarding early branching for gNewSense.  I shall try to
> help you succeed with your branching of my work if that is really what you
> want to do.
>
>> Hope you will engage more than just fork off,
>
> Above remark still stands :-)

This what I was trying to ask, if rather unclearly.  Downstream
projects will require minor modification of your /Debian dir to
accommodate different policies, build tools, and distro dependency
versions, ....

I am wondering, since we are creating fresh downstream package with a
new build-tool, how can we create a useful work flow for both upstream
and downstream.  With down streams using git-buildpackage and cdbs, it
seems pretty straight forward to ensure that useful patches make it
back to git.debian.org.

david