[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [support-gang] which Sugar(s) will/should run on XO's? [was: Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94]

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Sep 19 10:59:42 EDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 16:25, Yamandu Ploskonka <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's hard for me to understand why we are dropping so fast support for the
> XO-1.

I'm not sure why you say that, who is dropping support for the XO-1?
I'm just pointing out that we need help coordinating the effort of
doing new releases.

> It is not logical, does not make sense to drop the biggest user base Sugar
> has, except when we account for human feelings of pain and betrayal that
> accompany the lore involving OLPC and such.

If those feelings were above the mission, I would have gotten a real
job long time ago.

> While Sugar, as-is, is painfully slow and flaky on the XO, it is still the
> very best we have,

And the XO is currently how Sugar makes its bigger impact, so...

> and while we could get away from it and proclaim "mission
> accomplished",

Not sure who is saying that.

> well, that didn't work for that other guy, did it?

Which other guy?

> IMHO, yes, at some moment it's "vamoose" and so on, but that should not come
> any earlier than when we have another, bigger thing going in terms of user
> base.

Even then I don't think it will make sense to dump aside all the
learning potential of the XO-1 machines. It's true that today the
needed resources are not in the place where need to be, but I see this
as just an accident that will be solved at some point.

> I understand what you say, Tomeu, and I am grateful for it.

I'm not so sure I was understood ;)

> I'm just afraid
> that, as tight as we are now, that individual would have to come from the
> outside, and spend a loooot of time gaining credibility, and so on, before
> getting to a level of effectiveness that would get the job done.

Why the outside? olpc-nz and the support gang are outsiders?

I personally don't think that I should drop my current
responsibilities and take this instead, but you could be a good
candidate to lead the effort ;)

We "just" need someone to keep track of what has been done, what is
still to be done, which items are owned and which are for grabs, etc.
No in-depth knowledge of anything is needed, just coordinate the
different efforts that are already going on and advertise the areas
that need help.

Regards,

Tomeu

> Yama
>
> Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> About the particular effort of pushing forward one more stable release
>> for the XO-1, I strongly think we need a single individual that will
>> lead the effort and tie together the different teams that will be
>> working on it.

Farning