[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Fri Sep 18 23:45:29 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 19:45, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> 2009/9/17 David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>:
>>> One step in that direction might be to clearly communicate and try to
>>> gather momentum around a series of stable releases.
>>>
>>> One thought that might work is to set .84, .88, .94, and 1.0 as stable
>>> releases for down streams to unite around.
>>
>> That would be useful but actually the critical area lacking resources
>> right now is people working on OS building and deployment
>> technologies. If I can tame your interest in getting new Sugar on XO
>> in a deployment-quality release, finding resources to work on these
>> resources would be the biggest help you could provide.
>
> I personally think that making possible for XO-1 owners to upgrade to
> recent Sugar releases is very important for Sugar Labs, and if we are
> the only organization that can take this challenge, then we should do
> it.

I was thinking along these lines earlier today.   I actually think
OLPC is going to be making a big mistake as well if they don't address
this somehow.  When the XO 1.5 comes out, I can just see the possible
headlines about 1000000 kids having their computers orphaned.  Even if
SugarLabs didn't sell them the computers in the first place, it isn't
going to look good for SugarLabs either.

> But if we decided to go for it, I see two fundamental pieces missing:
>
> - someone to coordinate the effort,
>
> - a team of people willing to test new images, file bug reports, help
> with triaging, etc.....

I have an XO-1 and clearly too much time on my hands.  My kids also
have two XO-1s as well, but I don't really want to touch
their computers until there is some stability.

Bill Bogstad