[Sugar-devel] 0.84 for XO-1 (was Re: Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Sep 18 11:48:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 16:57, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
> You can put me down as an XO owner that is willing to try new images
> and file bug reports.  I don't have any immediate plans to enhance my
> three Activities so I should have time for other work.

Great, thanks for the kind offer.

I think the effort is already underway, leaded by Fedora's Steven M. Parrish:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/F11_for_XO-1

I also think that Martin Dengler is working on this as well, but I'm
not sure how their work relates to each other.

So testing seems like something that is needed, though I would like to
know what is required in order to say that one of these builds is
ready to be deployed somewhere. Maybe Steven, Daniel, Martin or others
have already thought about this? Afterwards we can count the people
interested in helping and maybe even write a tentative roadmap.

I'm adding devel at lists.laptop.org to CC because development seems to
happen there.

Thanks,

Tomeu

> James Simmons
>

>> I personally think that making possible for XO-1 owners to upgrade to
>> recent Sugar releases is very important for Sugar Labs, and if we are
>> the only organization that can take this challenge, then we should do
>> it.
>>
>> But if we decided to go for it, I see two fundamental pieces missing:
>>
>> - someone to coordinate the effort,
>>
>> - a team of people willing to test new images, file bug reports, help
>> with triaging, etc.
>>
>> How can we get that? Maybe the OLPC Support Gang would like to get
>> involved in this? People from existing deployments?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tomeu

Farning